Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood - Kendare Blake "5" is nowhere near enough stars for this book! When I finished it I flew to my local B&N (which is 45min away) and picked up book 2. It was just so AMAZING! Full review to come soon!UpdateI truly and honestly do not have a vocabulary large enough to tell you how unbelievably amazing, gripping, detailed and entertaining Anna Dressed in Blood was. To be honest I sort of want to fill this review with a bunch of crazy "Oh my gosh!" gifs and keep repeating the word awesome. It was just that good, amazing, fantastic!The story starts off with Cass (my new book love!) driving around in a borrowed car and a ghost in the passenger seat. A ghost who doesn't know he's dead. A ghost who is going to try and kill Cass in about one minute. I'm not sure how I expected this particular ghost story to start but I sure as hell was not prepared for Cass going all "ghost hunter" on this very dead hitchhiker within the first 12 pages! In fact I was a little afraid of the book for starting off with so much action, because I was convinced that from here it could only stall in the action department.But sweet goodness gracious, in the name of all that is delicious it never slowed down!You see Cass and his mother go from place to place hunting and "killing" ghost. It's what Cass's father did before he was viciously killed by a ghost and something Cass will never stop doing. And the next stop on their ghost hunting adventure is Thunder Bay Canada, where Anna Dressed in Blood is. Oh I just get goose bumps thinking about Anna! I LOVES HER! But the thing is Anna isn't your run of the mill ghost for Cass. She's stronger, smarter, and tougher than any ghost he has ever run into and against all odds Cass actually starts to befriend her! The same ghost who ripped a boy IN HALF right in front of Cass! Who kills anyone who dares to step into her house!And you know what that's just the first in many plot surprises.I think that's what I liked most about Anna Dressed in Blood. The plot was never your run of the mill "ghost story" or YA novel. Everything about it was fresh and different and just surprised the hell out of me! In a "typical" YA book Cass would have went after Anna all alone to "protect the people he loves". In a typical YA book Carmel (another amazing character) would have run screaming with her pom-poms over her heads. In a "typical YA book Thomas (our dorky, but lovable, witch) would have died the moment he tried to be "brave". But you know what?THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL BOOK! YA OR OTHERWISE!This is Anna Dressed in Blood and it has set a bar so high into the clouds for ghost stories that I truly am afraid to read any other "ghost" story out there. Not because I'm afraid they'll kick Anna's ass but because I know they will butcher the true potential of ghost stories.Anna Dressed in Blood was everything a real ghost story should be! It scared me (seriously), it had gore, the characters were strong and smart and so damn tangible! Originally I wasn't too happy about Carmel, Thomas, and Will joining Cass because I thought some stupid love triangle would start, or the story would shift focus to Cass making friends for the first time. But there was really no need for me to be concerned because unlike other stories I've read the addition of supporting characters only built the story up. Without Carmel and Thomas this would have become a solid 4 star book instead of the 6 stars I feel it truly deserves. And yes I know my rating only goes up to awesomesause/5 stars, but this book surpasses that by so much! And for me not to note it somewhere in this review would be like lying in my opinion.I can't say anything else about this book to convince you to go grab a copy immediately but let me give you a taste of the kind of person Cass is. The kind of hero I hope to see more often:"I'm not a superhero," I say. It's an awful tag. It's egotistical, and it doesn't fit. I don't parade around in spandex. I don't do what I do to receive accolades and keys to cities. I work in the dark, killing what should have stayed dead. If people knew what I was up to, they'd probably try to stop me. The idiots would take Casper's side and then I'd have to kill Casper and them after Casper bit their throats out. I'm no superhero. If anything I'm Rorschach from Watchmen. I'm Grendel. I'm the survivor in Silent Hill.-Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake page 22.